Franz Wright: “Being who you are is not a disorder” poem
Being who you are is not a disorder.
Being unloved is not a psychiatric disorder.
I can’t find being born in the diagnostic manual.
I can’t find being born to a mother incapable of touching you.
I can’t find being born on the shock treatment table.
Being offered affection unqualified safety and respect when and only when you score dope for your father is not a diagnosis.
Putting your head down and crying your way through elementary school is not a mental illness, on the contrary.
And seeing a psychiatrist for fifteen minutes per month some subdoormat psychiatrist writing for just what you need lots more drugs to pay his mortgage Lexus lease and child’s future tuition while pondering which wine to have for dinner is not effective treatment for friendless and permanent sadness.
Child your sick smile is the border of sleep.
Abandoned naked and thrown to the world is not a disease.
She was unhappy just as I was only not as lucky.
- Pediatric suicide (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)
- When Psychiatry Retraumatizes (beyondmeds.com)
- When Psychiatry Retraumatizes (prideinmadness.wordpress.com)
- “Alexis, Lanza, James Holmes… (inprisonedwomen.wordpress.com)
- Karr and Carriker (suziblu.typepad.com)
- Psychiatry bible blamed for manufacturing a host of ghosts in complex inner human world (theage.com.au)
- Mental Illness By The Book (blogs.abc.net.au)
- 25 good reasons why psychiatry must be abolished (sott.net)
- “Alexis, Lanza, James Holmes and the Psychiatric State” (spiritandanimal.wordpress.com)
- ‘Dozens of mental disorders don’t exist’ (calgaryherald.com)